During your teen years, you’re in a phase of your life when your body wants to grow. You’re churning out hormones that are specially designed to help you get bigger. And right now you may be able to take in a huge amount of food and use it to build a strong body.
But it's easy to make mistakes in your quest for muscle. Here's how to avoid those errors.
Following these steps will help you give your muscles the exercise and the fuel they need to get bigger.
Get a checkup.
Skip the shortcuts.
As you’re starting on your path to bigger muscles, focus on the basics. Health Tips for Boys - Gaining Muscle Guide. Spend your energy working out and eating right not chasing fancy supplements. And don’t even think about using steroids, he says. They can do serious damage to your body now and in the long run.You don't need steroids to build better muscles. During puberty, your body naturally pumps out testosterone. This hormone encourages your muscles to grow.
Build a solid program.
Health Tips for Boys - Gaining Muscle Guide. Instead, build a basic core program that includes the bench press (for your chest), squats (legs), deadlift (legs and back), and shoulder press (shoulders and upper back). As you master these, or you start playing a sport that requires specific strengths, you can add more complex lifts.
Get enough calories.
As a growing, active guy, you may need about 3,000 calories or more each day. Here's some tips:
- Eat breakfast every day.
- Get plenty of carbohydrates (carbs) from foods such as whole-grain bread, fruits, and milk. This way, your body has carbs to burn for fuel so it can save the protein you eat for muscle-building.
- If you’re hungry late in the evening, have a snack.
- Set your sights higher than fast food and candy. “You don’t create a Lamborghini body and put regular gas in it,". "You’re going to go with the high-octane stuff. Your body is no different.” Choose real food, not junk food.
Feed your muscles when they’re hungry
Another muscle-building hormone your body makes is insulin. Health Tips for Boys - Gaining Muscle Guide. It makes your muscles soak up sugar, proteins, and other things that make them bigger and stronger.
Insulin is extra-effective right after a workout. So within 30 minutes after a workout, eat a blend of carbs and protein. Some options:\
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Turkey sandwich
- Trail mix
- Smoothie made with yogurt and fruit
- A carbs-and-protein bar
But too much protein can harm the body and have serious effects on your kidneys. So don’t eat too much of it.
Read our previous post Health Tips for Skin - Healthy Skin