"Healthy living" to most people means both physical and mental health are in balance or functioning well together in a person. In many instances, physical and mental health are closely linked, so that a change (good or bad) in one directly affects the other. Consequently, some of the tips will include suggestions for emotional and mental "healthy living."
- A vegetarian lifestyle has been promoted for a healthy lifestyle and weight loss; vegetarians should check with their physicians to be sure they are getting enough vitamins, minerals, and iron in their food.
- Avoid eating a large meal before sleeping to decrease gastroesophageal reflux and weight gain.
- Avoid eating raw or undercooked meats of any type. Health Tips for Today - Healthy Living Facts.
- Avoid heavy meals in the summer months, especially during hot days.
- Avoid rewarding children with sugary snacks; such a pattern may become a lifelong habit for people.
- Avoid sodas and sugar-enhanced drinks because of the excessive calories in the sodas and sugar drinks; diet drinks may not be a good choice as they make some people hungrier and increase food consumption.
- Choose foods that are low in saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, salt (sodium), and added sugars; look at the labels because the first listed items on the labels comprise the highest concentrations of ingredients.
- Choose lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts (with emphasis on beans and nuts). Health Tips for Today - Healthy Living Facts.
- Control portion sizes; eat the smallest portion that can satisfy hunger and then stop eating.
- Cooking foods (above 165 F) destroys most harmful bacteria and other pathogens; if you choose to eat uncooked foods like fruits or vegetables, they should be thoroughly washed with running treated (safe to drink) tap water right before eating.
- Eat three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner); it is important to remember that dinner does not have to be the largest meal.
- If a person is angry or depressed, eating will not solve these situations and may make the underlying problems worse. Health Tips for Today - Healthy Living Facts.
- Snacks are OK in moderation and should consist of items like fruit, whole grains, or nuts to satisfy hunger and not cause excessive weight gain.
- The bulk of food consumption should consist of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk products.
- People trying to lose weight (body fat) should avoid all fatty and sugary foods and eat mainly vegetables, fruits, and nuts and markedly reduce his/her intake of meat and dairy products.
- People who prepare food should avoid using grease or frying foods in grease. Health Tips for Today - Healthy Living Facts.
- People with diabetes should use the above tips and monitor their glucose levels as directed; try to keep the daily blood glucose levels as close to normal as possible.
- People with unusual work schedules (night shifts, college students, military) should try to adhere to a breakfast, lunch, and dinner routine with minimal snacking.
- Seek medical advice early if you cannot control your weight, food intake, or if you have diabetes and cannot control your blood glucose levels.
Please read our previous post Health Tips for Today - Nutrition Facts of Healthy Foods
Also some of our related post Health Tips for Today